Welcome to our Black & Decker SPCM1936 review.
In considering which Black & Decker cordless lawn mower to review, we immediately noticed the comparatively high cost of this model. We were keen to prove why this was priced at the more expensive end of electric lawn mowers. Of course, there is that saying “you get what you pay for”. Would this be the case here ?
Black & Decker SPCM1936 – Product Details
Black and Decker have always had a great reputation for building good quality outdoor power tools, including electric lawn mowers. The SPCM1936 actually has two versions – with and without the self-propel feature. The latter being called the CM1936 (see below).
- Full Descriptive Title : Black & Decker SPCM1936 19-Inch 36-Volt Cordless Electric Self-Propelled Lawn Mower With Removable Battery
- Model : SPCM1936
- Power : 36 volt rechargeable battery (lift out for remote charging)
- Blade : Rotary
- Cutting Height : 1.5” to 3.5”
- Cutting Width : 19 inches
- Propulsion : Self-propelled (Variable speed)
- Start : Key and push button
- Grass Collection : Mulching / Bagging / Rear Discharge
- Wheel Size : Front – 7” / Rear – 9”
- Weight : 92 pounds
- Warranty : 2 years
Here is the lawn mower in action :
There are the obvious advantages of electric lawn mowers over their gas counterparts and these have been high-lighted here : Electric Lawn Mower reviews
The Black & Decker SPCM1936 has, not surprisingly, a lot of good features which make this model well worth considering. However, there are some things you might want to be aware of.
Good Points :
- Quick assembly – There really is nothing to this. A couple of bolts and you are good to go.
- Good adjustable features – Both the cutting length and height adjustment are very easy to change.
- Sssshhhhh – it’s so quiet. You really can have a ‘normal’ conversation whilst this mower is switched on, and you certainly do not need ear protectors whilst working.
- The key component to this model is, of course, the re-chargeable battery. The fact that it lifts out of the unit so easily gets a big tick of approval from us.
Area for Improvement :
- It comes with only one safety key – so don’t lose it !!
Other things to be aware of :
- As a safety feature, the back wheels lock up when you try to pull the mower backwards just after releasing the self-propel bar. The trick is to allow the mower to continue rolling a few inches after you release the bar and then pull the mower backwards.
- Even when set of the slowest propulsion setting, this mower is quite swift. Therefore never pull the handle up when starting the mower up – it might just fly out of your hands.
- Some people have questioned the SPCM1936 lawn mower’s power. However, this is not something that we would consider to be a problem.
- Of course you need to appreciate that you are relying on a charged up battery, so you are never going to be mowing for days on end. The manufacturers recommend 1/3rd of an acre – which more than covers the average patch of family green.
If you think that the self-propelled version is a bit expensive, then the Black & Decker SPCM1936 does come in a push version Black & Decker CM1936 19-Inch 36-Volt Cordless Electric Lawn Mower With Removable Battery.
Personally, we don’t think that the small financial saving you make with the push model is worth losing the extra assistance you get with the self-propel model reviewed here.
To see some customer reviews please click here.
We award the Black & Decker SPCM1936 a review score of :
86 out of 100
To buy the SPCM1936, please click on the Amazon link below.
We hope that you found this Black & Decker SPCM1936 review helpful. Please feel free to leave comments below or pass this information on to your friends using the social media buttons below.
We are constantly producing more lawn mower reviews. Please enter your email address in the box on the right to be notified of our future reviews.